Monday, February 6, 2017

Star Wars: Rogue One

Last year my first “normal” writing piece was related to Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Seeing as how we’re supposed to be getting a new Star Wars movie each year for the next several years, I’m thinking I’ll try to take it a tradition for the first “normal” writing piece of each year to be Star Wars-related. Today I’m going to give a very brief overview of my experience in watching Star Wars: Rogue One and my opinion of the movie. If you haven’t seen the movie you can relax—there will be no spoilers here.

I watch Rogue One last month, about four to five weeks after its initial release. It was a Saturday afternoon when I walked into the theater and when I came out I was quite pleased with how the movie turned out. Though not perfect, it does so much right that Rogue One will very likely be remembered as one of the better Star Wars movies. After the safe, and arguably necessary, play that was The Force Awakens, it was good to see a Star Wars movie that stretched out and told a story with a more unique feel to it. Rogue One also does what at first might seem impossible, in that it actually makes A New Hope better. I can’t tell you how it does this without going into spoilers, but I do think it will make people look at Episode 4 in a slightly different light. On the negative side I would say there are a few scattered scenes to could have been shortened or cut altogether, but this is a minor complaint. Rogue One is a great movie. After seeing it I’m much more confident in Disney’s handling of Star Wars and I look forward to where they take the series from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it