Thursday, August 13, 2015

An Unfamiliar Dilemma


I find myself in an unusual circumstance of late. Currently I am reading through a book titled Meat Is For Pussies by John Joseph. The book is a manifesto for a plant-based diet, combined with exercise, and as you can guess from the title, the book written in a rather abrasive and provocative style. Although I am not a vegan or vegetarian, I agree with many of the points the author is trying to make in arguing for people to have healthier lives. What is really irritating, however, is the way John Joseph has decided to deliver his message. With expletives pervading nearly every page and multiple instances of insulting the reader, I can’t deny that I’m a bit disgusted with how this book is written. This brings me to my unfamiliar dilemma; I am for the first time since I started blogging considering doing a post to comment on a book. As neither a literary critic nor one with extensive editing experience, (as is painfully obvious to anyone who has read this blog) I am unqualified for this task, but this book has riled me enough that I am seriously considering it.

I will withhold making a decision on this until I finish the book. There is a decent chance that I am just caught up in the moment of initial offense and I would be unreasonable to pass judgment before reading the book in its entirety. However, even if I do decide to go ahead and write out my thoughts on the book I am looking at a severe time constraint with my rapidly approaching overseas trip. This project would likely have to be put on hold until I got back, and by then I would have moved on to other things. Still, even if it is never finished, such a post might be a worthwhile writing exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it