Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The urge to pad writing

As I was preparing Friday’s post on Destiny, I ran into an issue that I’ve encountered a number of times in my writings. When I was proofreading the final draft I saw that I was very close to hitting 2,000 words, and the thought floated in my mind to add just a little more to my work. Two, maybe three, more sentences and I’d cross that magic threshold into the 2,000-word territory. Yes, what I had at the moment was all well and good and encapsulated everything I wanted to say, but think about how much better it would feel to add another entry to the 2,000-word writing piece catalog. It wouldn’t even be that hard—just insert an extra observation and/or opinion here, and another one there, and just like that I’d have that special 2,000-word satisfaction. I entertained this line of thinking for several minutes until my inner editor put a stop to the fantasy train. Yes, getting past the 2,000-word mark would be nice, but I’d be compromising the writing piece by padding it with material merely for the sake of achieving a particular word count. That extra material did not belong in this writing piece. I came to my senses, finished proofreading, and then moved on to preparing the writing piece for publishing. The urge to pad my writing had been resisted, that time at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it