Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Why PlayStation?

I like to think of myself as console agnostic, but the fact of the matter is that I do the vast majority of my gaming on PlayStation platforms. One of the reasons for this goes back to the circumstances I found myself in during my college days. In my first year of college, one of my roommates had a PlayStation 2, which was my introduction to the PlayStation ecosystem. He also had a Nintendo 64, but the PlayStation 2 was the console I gravitated towards, and after that I stuck with the PlayStation family of consoles. Perhaps if my roommate had owned an Xbox instead of a PlayStation, I would have turned out to be primarily an Xbox gamer.

Since that time I’ve only owned one non-PlayStation console, the Nintendo Wii, but that’s primarily been due to convenience and my gaming interests. Whenever there was a game I wanted to play that was exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem I was able to make use of a friend’s Xbox, so I never had a need to purchase an Xbox of my own. Next year I might finally purchase an Xbox One, but for now I’m content to wait and see how Microsoft’s Project Scorpio pans out. For Nintendo’s part, their first-party lineup of games hasn’t appealed to me as strongly as the first-party games of PlayStation and Xbox, so I haven’t had much of a desire to buy their consoles. The Nintendo Wii was an interesting exception to this, as I, like many other people, got caught up in the novelty of its motion controls, and to the Wii’s credit it did have some good games during its early years. We’ll see whether or not the Nintendo Switch can do something similar. For the near future, however, I’m fine with just owning my PlayStation 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it