Friday, February 19, 2016

2016 Writing Project

For the year 2015 I made a list of goals to fulfill by the end of the year and on December 31, 2015, I finished the year having accomplished most of them. For 2016 I think I may do something similar, but the list of goals will be shorter. One goal, however, stands out amongst the rest. There's a work of fiction that I've been meaning to write for many years now and I'm thinking 2016 should be the year I finally get serious about working on it. I've had the idea for this project since around the end of my senior year of high school, and over the years since then I've slowly come up with and written down ideas for fleshing out the plot and the characters. The last few months, however, I've been getting a flood of thoughts in my head about this project and I'm feeling the urge to get writing before the stream runs dry.

Now, before any of you get excited about this project of mine, I need to warn you that the story in my head is not a particularly good one. Much of it is either cliche or blatantly taken from other pieces of entertainment I've seen/read/heard over the years. If it was ever sent to a publishing house, it would be relegated to the "slush pile" - that massive expanse of terrible writings that publishers get every year from amateurs like myself. Then again, seeing as how works of fiction like 50 Shades of Grey and The Da Vinci Code somehow became successful, maybe my garbage writings actually stand a chance.

I'm going to try to do this. The project might never get finished, but I feel compelled to give it a go. It will likely never get published anywhere, not even on this blog. At the moment I'm not quite ready to discuss too many of the details, but as part of the project, over the next few weeks I'm going to type out one post per week with some of the generalities of what's in my head. I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but if nothing else it should be a good learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it