Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Old Journal vs New Journal

On both my 2012 and 2015 journeys across Europe, I took with me a notebook to serve as a journal for my experience. After getting back from the last journey, I had a chance to compare the finished versions of both notebooks. While similar, the new journal was most notably different for the much higher level of detail I recorded on each day's events. I was much more exact on when, where, and what I was doing, and the progression from one event to another. Also included were a lot more personal notes than what was found in the old journal, such as how I was feeling at the time and my opinions on various things. If you were to read through it yourself you'd find both a log of the day's events, and my commentary on the more notable things I saw or did. More detailed writing translated into longer average entries per day, and towards the end of the journey there was a real danger that I might have run out of pages to write on. At the end I only had three blank sides left. If I have another extended overseas trip of about the same length (or longer) I will probably get a larger notebook just to be on the safe side.

Both the old and new journals are treasured records of their respective journeys. I have a feeling that in a few years from now I'll find myself rereading them, and when I do, I'll have to resist the urge to drop what I'm doing and purchase plane tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it