Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Last Jedi and my view of Star Wars

On Monday I laid out some of the things I found troublesome with The Last Jedi and on Tuesday I listed a few things I thought the movie did well. After reading both of those posts it would be natural to ask where my Star Wars fan level currently rests. As I said in Monday’s post, I walked out of the movie theater still a Star Wars fan after both times I watched the film. My love of Star Wars has managed to survive everything that both George Lucas and Disney have done to the series, so a single enjoyable but problematic film isn’t going to turn me off to Star Wars. At the same time, however, I can’t deny that I’m a little less optimistic then I was in the aftermath of The Force Awakens and Rogue One. Despite it’s flaws, The Force Awakens had me convinced that a bright future was possible for Star Wars and I had high hopes for where the series would go. Rogue One was a good movie and affirmed this positive outlook, but now The Last Jedi has dimmed the light a little. I still have hopes for whatever Episode 9 turns out to be—it’s just that those hopes are a little tempered now. Next in line for Star Wars is the Han Solo movie. Hopefully that doesn’t cause my Star Wars fandom to fade a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it