Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Southwest Airlines is the Hideo Kojima of airlines

Yesterday, as I was boarding my flight, I noticed an interesting Southwest Airlines poster. I'm sure the poster has been around for a while, but I had never noticed it before. Below is a photo of the poster.


Why would such a poster catch my eye? Because it reminded me of something that had been done years ago by Hideo Kojima, the video game director best known for his work on the Metal Gear Solid series. Like Kojima, Southwest Airlines had invented a new and completely unnecessary (and dare I say it, just silly) word purely for marketing purposes. Back in 2011, Kojima's game production company announced an initiative that would allow people playing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker to transfer their save files between the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable (and later the PlayStation Vita). This would allow someone to be playing the game on one PlayStation system, save his or her progress, transfer the save to another PlayStation system, and pick up exactly where they had left off. Kojima referred to this process as "transfarring." In a similar manner, Southwest Airlines has invented the term "transfarency." I realize the comparison between these two terms isn't perfect, but it's close enough for me to (humorously) think of Southwest Airlines as the Hideo Kojima of airlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it