Monday, April 11, 2016

Game Commentaries

Currently I'm playing through a section of my gaming backlog, and this means that over the coming weeks and months I'll be posting more game commentaries than usual to this blog. Since I'm not a professional games journalist or critic, I have a fair amount of liberty on the format of these commentaries and I want to be clear ahead of time that they will not all be the same. For example, the post that I published last Friday related to Call of Duty Ghosts was a more extensive commentary that covered most of the facets of the singleplayer campaign, but the post that I will be publishing later this week on Halo 5 will look very different. With Halo 5 I'm going to briefly discuss things like gameplay and visuals, but the bulk of the post will focus on the game's narrative, as I think that is the part of the game that deserves the most attention. The length of future commentaries will also run a wide spectrum. Similar to books or movies, some games can be adequately discussed in 200 to 300 words, while others require 1,000 words or longer. There may even be a few games that I completely skip over doing a commentary for, but in those cases I will at least try to make a mention of them in some fashion.

Oh, and one last thing I want to mention is that one of the benefits of the current videogame console generation is that both the Xbox One and PS4 have the ability to take screenshots and short videos of the games you play, so at some point in the future I will finally be able to include screenshots and/or videos from games that I took myself. I'm not sure which commentary I'll do this with first, but I can finally stop being completely dependent on a Google search for media related to the games I'm playing, though the one thing I may still need from an image search is the game's logo, which I like to put near the top of my commentaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it