Monday, April 30, 2012

Santiago de Compostela: End of the Road (But Not For Me)

Hello all from Santiago de Compostela, which is in northwest Spain. I leave for Madrid in a few hours and thought I would post a quick update before leaving. As some of you know, Santiago de Compostela is the official end of the path of Saint James trail (often times called the ¨Camino¨) which starts a few hundred miles away in France. The town´s main cathedral (famous for its giant incense burner that hangs from the ceiling and takes a team of four or five men to swing) is where pilgrims end their journey. Though I´m not Catholic, I do respect the mental and physical fortitude that these journeys require. Interestingly enough, it turns out you can actually keep going from Santiago all the way to the ocean (another two or three days of hiking) to Cape Fisterra, if you want some Catholic bonus points.

Santiago itself is not a large town, and the historic old town can be seen in a single day. I´ve stayed here three days, so I need to get going to get back on schedule. I´m in Madrid for three days before moving on to Sevilla (Seville), Granada, Valencia and then finally Barcelona. I should have another post in a few days from either Madrid or Seville. As always, if you have a suggestion for something worth seeing or doing in those cities, send me an email of leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it