Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Scalia

This past Saturday, the United States Supreme Court lost one of its judges when Antonin Scalia passed away. Scalia was at times a controversial figure, adored by many on the political right and reviled by many on the political left. At the news of his death I knew that some of his detractors would break out in celebration, but I have to say that I'm dismayed, indeed disgusted, with the sheer level of vitriol I've seen coming from some of the people who did not see eye-to-eye with him. If you were to believe the things going around on social media, you would think Scalia was the worst traitor to America since Benedict Arnold and should have his corpse dragged behind a car and paraded through the streets. Never mind the fact that Scalia's friends and family are now mourning their loss and coming to terms with the ever-present reality of death that infects this planet we live on. I know I shouldn't be surprised that a figure like Scalia would be on the receiving end of this much hate, but it still horrifies me to see what some people have written about him since the announcement of his death. My only hope is that Scalia's family might somehow be shielded from the worst of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it