Friday, September 29, 2017

Occupation: Writer

Each time I've checked into an accommodation I've had to fill out a small form to give my basic information. One of the items that's always asked is my occupation. Technically I'm unemployed at the moment, but I don't believe a man can only have a vocation in the context of regular employment, so I don't state that I'm unemployed. Also, the Japanese probably don't like the idea of unemployed foreigners showing up in their country for extended periods of time. Instead of stating that I'm unemployed, on every single info sheet I've claimed that I'm a writer, which is a true statement. My means of earning money will inevitably change many times over my life, but writing is my true occupation, and I will continue saying that I'm a writer throughout this entire trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it