Tuesday, August 2, 2016

“Son, you have no idea what you’re talking about.”

A young man, half my age, was briefly discussing video games with me, and I mentioned that I was playing through Batman: Arkham Knight. He asked me if I was going to 100% the game, that is, if I was going to complete every last mission in the game. I replied that I had completed all the side quests but was skipping over finding all the Riddler Trophies, of which there are about 200 scattered across Gotham City. He was quite disappointed in me when I said that, and more so when I stated that I wasn’t going to play through the New Game Plus mode, which unlocks after beating the game for the first time. I informed him that at my age with my various commitments I just didn’t have the time to play games the way I used to when I was younger, but he was quite dismissive of this explanation. The thing is, when I was his age I had the exact same attitude. It always seemed to strange to me when I was younger why other people didn’t play more games and didn’t invest time into exploring every facet and conquering every challenge. Now I’m older and I can see how ignorant and arrogant my younger self was. When that young man brushed off my statement about not having the time to 100% the game I took the high road and graciously let it slide. In my head, however, my only thought was “Son, you have no idea what you’re talking about.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rules for comments:
* Be polite
* Be concise
* Be relevant to the post you are commenting on
* Proofread your comment before publishing it